Amorous man’s attention sparked ‘disgraceful’ Sunderland-Newcastle derby day scrap between women

0
Have your say

A WOMAN who fought with another female fan at a derby clash has been warned over her “disgraceful” conduct by a judge.

Police arrested Jan Marshall and another woman after they came to blows at the Stadium of Light on August 20, as SAFC took on Newcastle.

The 45-year-old, of Fellsted Square, Ford Estate, was found guilty of a public order offence in her absence, after a trial at Sunderland Magistrates’ Court earlier this month.

At yesterday’s sentencing hearing, prosecutor Paul Anderson said: “It happened in the back of the North Stand in the bar area, where there was a fight between these two ladies.

“I don’t know what started it, or why it happened, but the police came upon it and both were arrested and charged under section four (of the Public Order Act).”

Defending Marshall, Tony Southwick said trouble had erupted after a man began making lewd comments towards the two women, which Marshall believed her companion was encouraging.

He added: “She said in interview that his hand was extremely close to her lower regions at one point, and this was being encouraged by the other woman, and she did not think she should be acting in this way.

“The police conceded they could not confirm who had started what, and it was always the case both had said the other had started it.”

He added that Marshall, who suffers from anxiety and depression, had drunk about two halves of lager before the incident, but her friend, who was also charged by police, had more to drink.

Sentencing Marshall, District Judge Roger Elsey warned her: “This was disgraceful behaviour.

“It is the type of incident which spoils the game for the majority of well-behaved supporters.

“It must never be repeated. I take account of your good character and also have regard for the fact that the other person was arrested and charged and have regard to the letter from your doctor.”

Marshall was fined £150 and ordered to pay £50 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.

No application for a football banning order was made.

Twitter: janethejourno