Cleadon house fire was caused by faulty dehumidifier

editorial image
0
Have your say

People are being warned to check their electrical appliances after a faulty dehumidifier that had been recalled by the manufacturer caused a fire at a home in Cleadon.

The Wickes dehumidifier – model SKU712919 – was subject to a product recall in 2012, due to a potential safety issue with the internal wiring, that may cause it to overheat. This only affects models sold between October 2002 and December 2008.

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service say the product caused a fire at a home in Cleadon earlier this month.

The dehumidifier was completely destroyed by the blaze, along with one square metre of flooring and skirting. The rest of the property was moderately smoke damaged.

District Manager for Sunderland Ian Cuskin said: “The Electrical Safety Council website www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk contains some excellent advice and also has a section where people can check if a product has been recalled.

“I would urge anyone who is concerned about any of their electrical items to visit the site. Any goods that are subject to a product recall should be returned to the place of purchase.”