Christmas dinner sparks kitchen fire

editorial image
0
Have your say

A SMOKE alarm helped ensure Christmas dinner didn’t turn to disaster after fire fighters were called to a kitchen blaze in Sunderland.

Eight fire fighters from Washington and Farringdon fire stations turned out to a house in Boult Terrace, Houghton Le Spring, at 12.29pm today after a fire started in an oven in the home.

The occupants were cooking a chicken dinner when the oven set alight - but they were alerted by a working smoking alarm in the property.

The fire was smothered with a tea towel prior to the arrival of the fire crews, with the occupants safely making their way out of their home uninjured.

The oven was slightly damaged in the blaze, with the rest of the property also slightly smoke damaged.

Fire fighters used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke from the address.