Chip pan fire in Sunderland flats

editorial image
0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a block of flats in Sunderland after a chip pan caught fire.

A crew from Sunderland Central station were called to the fire at D’Arcy Court, in Hendon, just before 7pm tonight.

The blaze started on the 12th floor after an unattended chip pan set alight.

One occupant suffered some smoke inhalation but declined medical attention.

Crew manager Jez Hilton said: “The speed at which this was dealt with prevented it from being a lot worse.

“There was a bit of damage to the kitchen area but no one was injured.

“The chip pan had been left unattended. We are slowly getting the message across about chip pans and the numbers have dropped dramatically in the last few years.”