Cat rescued from house fire started by Christmas tree lights

Echo News Logo
Echo News Logo
0
Have your say

A CAT was pulled from a house blaze after a fire, thought to be caused by Christmas lights.

The moggy, said to be suffering from smoke inhalation, was rescued by firefighters shortly 5am this morning.

burn out christmas tree

burn out christmas tree

Two crews from High Handenhold station were called to the house in Roseberry Street, No Place, Chester-le-Street.

The fire, which caused smoke damage throughout the building, is thought to have started in an overloaded electrical socket, near a Christmas tree, in the living room.

A spokesman for the fire service said numerous electrical items including Christmas lights, and a dvd player were plugged into the socket.

Four fire fighters took just over an hour to dampen the blaze.

The male resident had evacuated the building when crews arrived after he was alerted by a smoke alarm, and was not injured.