Canister of CS gas let off in County Durham club

0
Have your say

A CLUB was evacuated after a CS gas canister was let off in its bar.

Police, paramedics and fire service were called to Shotton Comrades Club in Back Potto Street, Shotton Colliery, at 7.50pm on Saturday, after the room filled with smoke.

One elderly man suffered breathing difficulties, but no one needed hospital treatment.

A spokesman for Durham Police said: “We were called to a report inside the premises involving something being set off, which has released a large amount of smoke inside the venue.

“It appears there has been a dispute between a number of people inside the premises, and a canister of CS gas was let off.

“It caused side effects to a small number of people, and one elderly gentleman suffered breathing difficulties.

“The canister has been recovered and sent off for forensic examination and CCTV from the club has been seized and will be examined.

“Inquiries are ongoing to trace the person responsible.”

Anyone with information can call police on 0345 60 60 365.