A PENSIONER has criticised event organisers after his wife fell in a pothole while visiting a Wearside light show.
Michael Gordon, 69, went to Roker Park, with wife Margaret to see the illuminations when she fell in a pothole, injuring herself.
The 68-year-old, who is having treatment for breast cancer, injured her knees, cut her hand and bruised her wrist.
But the couple claim there was no first aid available.
Mr Gordon, from Roker, said: “Security had been told to ring 999 if there was an accident. I think it’s absurd they would call an ambulance out for a minor injury.
“We went to South Shields to see the fireworks on the beach this week and it was littered with St John Ambulance staff.”
The accident happened close to the Ravine Bridge at about 7pm, but it wasn’t until 9pm when she received treatment after driving to Grindon Lane Primary Care Centre.
Mr Gordon said he fears a combination of bad lighting and poor pavements could lead to future injuries and has met with members of the council’s events team to discuss the issue.
He said: “I’m not one who wants to put a dampner on the lights, but steps should be taken to make sure there is adequate lighting.
“The council are aware of the potholes but because they are less than 15mm deep they won’t do anything. They say that they have to be greater than 25mm to be repaired.
“It’s not about suing the council, it’s about making people aware. I feel as though they’ve let everyone down. They really need to pull their finger out.”
Councillor John Kelly, portfolio holder for public health, wellness and culture, said: “I’m sorry to hear about this accident. We have spoken to Mr and Mrs Gordon and are examining their comments and feedback.
“The lighting is part of the city council’s seafront regeneration work and the displays are set to conclude this weekend.”