EYES down for a full house!
Outline plans to build a new bingo hall in Sunderland have been given the green light.
Wearside printing company, Edward Thompson, hopes to build the new hall on land near to Asda supermarket, off Leechmere Road.
Thompson’s produces bingo materials from cards to dabbers, and has worked with customers to develop bingo halls all over the world.
But this will be the first time it has been involved with one on home turf.
Paddy Cronin, managing director, said the company will build the new hall and then sell it on to one of its clients.
He believes the move will be good for the city’s economy, by using Sunderland subcontractors in the building work and by employing the equivalent of up to 70 full-time jobs.
Paddy said: “If we can create a new facility for the community and it employs local people, then it is good for everybody.”
The initial application to Sunderland City Council was for approval for the access arrangements to the site.
A report to the Development Control Sub Committee said: “It is considered that on balance a satisfactory form of access can be taken from Leechmere Road, which would require improvements to the existing access points.
“The proposed development is considered satisfactory in terms of land use allocation and highway safety requirements.”
Members of the committee agreed with the recommendation to approve the outline plans for access subject to meeting conditions.
All other aspects of the development such as appearance, landscaping, layout and scale will be considered at a later date, but Paddy says it will be an improvement.
He said: “It will look good, so it will improve what is a bit of an eyesore at the moment and will attract a good employer.
“I hope it is going to be a good regeneration opportunity for the town and will also help us because we will make money from the development and we will get a new customer.”
The firm has extensive experience and has been involved with building bingo halls in the Florida Everglades, Sun City in South Africa and the centre of Moscow.
- Boss Di Canio wants six new men for Sunderland
- Bus crashes into Sunderland JobCentre
- Pool pervert used shoe mirror to spy on woman changing in Sunderland Aquatic Centre
- Survival assured, Sunderland boss can plan future
- ‘You can’t live a lie and spend your life feeling sad’ – transgender modelling competition finalist tells all
- DOBSON MARKS START OF HEALTH C
- Di Canio: Sunderland players will get a shorter summer break if they don’t perform well at Tottenham
- Last post is 6.30pm (but get here by 5.30pm)
- TV chef Martin Blunos takes over the kitchen at Seaham Hall
- Sunderland museums and arts centres lose out as donations head to London
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Sunderland
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 9 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North