Fireworks display to return after months of negotiations

editorial image
0
Have your say

A POPULAR fireworks display looks set to be held after months of discussions by councillors.

Peterlee Town Council has performed a U-turn and reinstated plans for its annual Bonfire Night fireworks display.

But residents are being urged to leave their cars at home and to make use of the Argos and Aldi car parks as they attend the Helford Road event, on Wednesday, November 5.

It comes after councillors listened to concerns from police and fire representatives who had safety fears. At a meeting this week, councillors voted unanimously for the event to go ahead.

The Echo previously reported that the fireworks were threatened with the axe through fears over congestion and health and safety, including problems with emergency service getting access to the site.

But town council leader Bill Jeffrey said: “After talking it through at the council meeting, a decision has been made that we will support it this year.”

But he said there will be a partial road closure, with a one-way system off Passfield Way and along Southway and Thames Road.

Helford Road will be partially closed, but residents will be sent permits.

Castle Dene Shopping Centre management have agreed to allow free parking in the Aldi and Argos car parks.

It will cost £800 for a safety officer, £900 for road stewards and £950 for the closure, plus insurance.