FIRE has caused thousands of pounds in damage to a Sunderland club.
The blaze broke out at South Hylton Workingmen’s Club at about 10am today.
A total of 12 firefighters from Sunderland’s North Moor and Central fire stations brought the blaze under control.
An area behind the bar was badly damaged in the fire, which is believed to have started in an ice-making machine.
Steward Hilton Horton, 64, raised the alarm after smelling smoke.
The club, in Ford Lodge West, had not opened and is expected to be closed for the rest of the day.