Bin fire leaves Sunderland man with burns to hands

Firefighters were called to a property in Fordland Place in Sunderland after a fire in a bin.
Firefighters were called to a property in Fordland Place in Sunderland after a fire in a bin.
0
Have your say

A man suffered burns to his hands after putting out a fire sparked by discarded "smoking material."

Firefighters were called to Fordland Place on the Ford Estate, Sunderland, at 1.30am today.

Discarded "smoking material" put in a waste paper bin had sparked a small fire in the living room of the property.

The couple were woken by the smell of smoke seconds before smoke alarms activated.

The man suffered burns to his hands and leg after putting the out the fire.

He was treated by firefighters and paramedics.

Damage was caused to the flooring around the bin area with smoke damage to the living room.

A home fire safety check was carried out on the property with extra smoke alarms fitted.