Allotment blaze in Houghton caused by unattended garden fire

editorial image
0
Have your say

A GARDEN fire left unattended caused a blaze at allotments in Houghton.

Firefighters from Rainton Bridge, North Moor and Washington stations were called to allotments at Regent Street, in Hetton, at 11.34am today.

A polythene tunnel, shed and greenhouse were all completely damaged in the fire, which also spread to four garages.

One garage contained a vehicle which was destroyed in the blaze, and the other garages were damaged.

Six propane cylinders were found on the site. Two were directly involved in the blaze.

Firefighters say the cause was accidental and started after a garden fire was left unattended.