Sunderland 2 Portsmouth 0

editorial image
Have your say

Tueart goal deals the issue in lack-lustre game

Pompey finishing had no punch

PORTSMOUTH players paid friendly tribute to Sunderland’s Cup Semi-Final team at Roker Park this afternoon when they formed a guard of honour at the players’ tunnel and led the cheering as the Sunderland players ran on the field.

While Sunderland relied upon an unchanged side with David Young taking over as substitute from Brian Chambers, Portsmouth had several problems arising from injuries.

Youth team coach Ray Pointer was called upon to make only his second appearance of the season as centre forward in place of Ray Hiron, and other notable absentees were Bobby Kellard and Fred Smith.

Playing conditions were extremely good and there were about 30,000 present when Portsmouth, having lost the toss, started the game attacking the Roker End.

There was nearly an early break for Sunderland when Porterfield intercepted from the kick-off and hit a long ball down the wing which was neatly headed inside by Halom. Tueart was on the run, but Lewis had the advantage and was their first.

Tilsed had to dive out when Tueart chased a through-ball to the edge of the penalty area, and then a well-tied interception by Stephenson prevented Kerr from picking up a Horswill lob.

Munks headed a long throw by Kerr behind for a corner and when Kerr made it a short one back to Malone, Portsmouth had to cover up in front of goal to meet the fullback’s centre.

Only a brilliant save by Tilsed prevented Hughes from putting Sunderland ahead with a powerful header from a Kerr centre, then Tueart and Hughes had Portsmouth on the run again, but it was Guthrie storming in from the left who went nearest to forcing a break.

Tueart gave Portsmouth an anxious moment when Tilsed raced to the angle of the penalty area to fist away and Tueart, lobbing the ball in the direction of an open goal, saw it travel narrowly wide.

An off-target drive by Piper from the right wing was the best Pompey effort so far, but Watson had to steer a long ball back to Montgomery with Reynolds in close attendance.

A free-kick for a foul on Porterfield by Hand had Hughes breaking on the left and when Hughes centred, Hand was happy to drive the ball behind for a corner. Hughes could not control a powerful centre by Guthrie and when Portsmouth came back again Halom was pulled up for charging Tilsed.

Malone pulled up Jennings with a powerful tackle after Watson had run into difficulty against Piper.

Tilsed went up to snatch a Kerr corner away from Watson’s head and then a lucky break gave Halom a shooting chance at the edge of the penalty area, but he wasted by shooting straight at Tilsed, though the goalkeeper needed a second attempt to bring the ball under control.

A Malone foul on Jennings near the corner flag put Portsmouth in an attacking position but Foggo’s kick cleared the middle. Portsmouth had a better chance still when Pointer looked for an opening 20 yards out and then mis-hit the ball. It still travelled through the Sunderland defence and Piper, wide and clear on the right, hit the weakest of shots straight at Montgomery.

Then came a spectacular flash by Sunderland with Halom going through on the right to strike a low centre which was first-timed by Tueart to bring an excellent save from Tilsed. Another great chance came when Tueart challenged for a long ball into the middle and when Halom moved it on. Kerr had an open goal to shot at but sent his drive wide.

Lewis needed attention after a tackle on Hughes. Munks did well to rise above Watson to meet a long ball into the middle and he must have been surprised when the referee signalled a goal-kick instead of the obvious corner-kick.

Sunderland took the deserved lead in 42 minutes when Porterfield centred from the line wide on the left and Kerr went up to head home at the far post.

A Guthrie centre had Tilsed rushing from his goal to hold off a challenge by Hughes, and from his clearance Pompey pushed up to press home a sharp attack. Pitt twice headed clear but Jennings came back again with a fierce shot which rebounded from Montgomery’s grasp and Foggo, following up, missed a still better chance by shooting over from close range.

Halom gained a corner for Sunderland in the first minute of the second half and when Kerr’s kick was headed out, Watson tried to get the ball back into the middle. It was returned to him and this time he tried a shot and Lewis saved a certain goal by sliding in to turn the ball away for a corner with Tilsed beaten.

In the 51st minute Jennings was booked for retaliation after being beaten in an untidy tackle by Malone. Two minutes later Lewis was booked for lifting his foot dangerously in passing Tueart from behind.

Tilsed had to pull down a cross by Hughes with Halom challenging and then Foggo held the ball through tackles by Guthrie, Pitt and Horswill before driving it into the middle.

Piper could not collect it clearly enough to get in a shot, and Kerr stayed with him to prevent him turning. Good covering by Pitt prevented Piper from going clear on the left, and when Pompey tried again on the left with Jennings in a good position, it was Pitt once more who stopped him.

The referee had a word or two with Stephenson and Hughes after a brush between the pair, but there was nothing really hectic about the play generally.

Portsmouth were showing in flashes that they had to be respected, though they made poor use of their chances.

There was no excuse for Jennings when a sluggish Sunderland defence allowed him a clear run from midfield, but instead of troubling Montgomery he sent a tame shot well wide.

When Kerr picked up a crossfield ball and moved in the right, Pompey defenders came out quickly to play Halom offside. Kerr held the ball until the position had been corrected and then released it for Hughes to go clear, but a bad bounce threw Hughes off balance and his shot spun away wide.

Tueart was in with a chance when Watson breasted down a clearance and followed up to drive the ball into the middle. Tueart had the ball under control quickly enough, but he turned to send a hurried shot over the bar.

Hughes was unlucky not the get through from a heated pass by Halom. He was injured in his attempt to get in a shot and nine minutes from the end went off to be replaced by Young.

Sunderland built up another slick move on the right which had Tueart breaking clear, only to be brought down by Stephenson as he shot. The referee had no hesitation over awarding a penalty and through Tilsed guessed right he could not move forward quickly enough to prevent Tueart from putting Sunderland further ahead from the spot in 83 minutes.

Sunderland: Montgomery, Malone, Guthrie, Horswill, Watson, Pitt, Kerr, Hughes, Halom, Porterfield, Tueart. Sub: Young.

Portsmouth: Tiled, Lewis, Wilson, Hand, Stephenson, Munks, Foggo, Reynolds, Pointer, Piper, Jennings. Sub, Collings.

Referee: Mr R Porthouse of Carnforth.

How the goals came

Kerr 42 min.

Tueart (pen) 83 min.


Sunderland made hard work of winning a game which they ran from start to finish. Portsmouth defended bravely enough, but the chances created should have led to a much more convincing score-line. Hughes, Kerr and Tueart all absorbed a lot of punishment in their attempt to open up the Portsmouth defence and eventually Hughes had to go out of the game.

Sid Owen, who attended the game on a spying mission for Leeds United, Sunderland’s FA Cup Finial opponents, would not learn a great deal from this game, which was by no means typical of the quality which Sunderland have been packing into their recent games.

Attendance 31,430.

Story taken from the Football Echo on April 14 1973.